We aim to meet the high standards required by the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and have updated our privacy statement to reflect that. We also strive to simplify language and remove jargon, to make our privacy statement easier to read and understand. See our privacy statement HERE
USE OF OUR WEBSITE
• The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
• Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
• Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
• This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
• All trademarks reproduced in this website, which are not the property of, or licensed to the operator, are acknowledged on the website.
• Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
• From time to time, this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
• Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
SHOP AND ONLINE SALES
- Please keep the receipt for your purchase in a safe place. Your receipt is your guarantee against any repairs required on items purchased in our store within three months from the date of purchase. After the three-month period any damage or breakage will be considered wear and tear and charges will apply for repair and/or replacement.
- Within 28 days of purchase and accompanied by a valid receipt unwanted items which are unworn and in perfect condition in their original packaging may be exchanged for equivalent value jewellery, a credit note or a refund. Earrings and discounted sale items are exempt and can only be returned by special agreement. This does not affect your statutory rights.
- Credit notes must be redeemed within twelve months of issue.
- If your purchase requires a minor alteration (for example shortening a bracelet or re-sizing a ring) please return it to us within 28 days of purchase and we will attempt to alter it free of charge, though this is not guaranteed. Not all items are suitable for alteration. Please supply a valid receipt.
- Engraved or items considered by Pruden and Smith to be altered beyond a minor alteration are not entitled to a refund.
- Refunds to a credit card or Amex will be subject to a 1.5% administration fee. Refunds to a debit card will not be subject to a charge.
- Jewellery should be cleaned according to our instructions (see below). Pruden & Smith Ltd is not liable for any damage caused due to customers not following these instructions when cleaning their jewellery.
- Pruden & Smith Ltd is not responsible for jewellery lost by the customer. Customers should wear ‘backs’ (or ‘butterflies’) on their earrings at all times. Customers should ensure that fastenings are secure on necklaces, chains, bracelets, bangles and brooches. If in doubt about the security of a fastening the customer should consult a member of our staff before wearing the item.
- Jewellery requires a reasonable amount of care when wearing or storing. Necklaces, chains, bracelets and dangly earrings are likely to break if treated roughly. Jewellery should be stored in a rigid jewellery box or hung on a jewellery tree. Chains should be laid flat in a rigid box or hung on a jewellery tree to prevent them getting kinked or tangled. Do not wear jewellery in bed, when playing sport, swimming, in the shower/bath or when washing up. Pruden & Smith Ltd is not liable for any damage caused by customers not following these recommendations.
- Orders placed in the UK through our online shop are delivered via Royal Mail Special Delivery. You should expect to receive your items within 7 working days of ordering.
- Orders placed outside the UK: Europe normally is sent international signed for; outside Europe by quotation. No delivery dates can be guaranteed.
- Customers ordering through our online shop will be added to our mailing list; we do not share this information with any other companies. Please contact us via phone or e-mail if you would like to be removed from the mailing list.
- Pruden & Smith Ltd does not retain any financial information, e.g. credit or debit card details, of customers ordering through our online shop.
RETAIL VAT EXPORT SCHEME
- In line with HMRC rules and regulations, customers from outside the EU, or EU residents leaving the EU for more than 12 months, can claim back the VAT they have been charged when they leave the EU with the goods via the retail VAT export scheme.
- If you wish to partake in this scheme you must inform staff at the point of purchase and we will complete the relevant paperwork for you and instruct on the process for claiming back the refund.
- If the refund is to be made to a credit card then a £25 or 3% (whichever is greater) administration fee will be chargeable and will be deducted from the total refund due.If it is on a debit card, then there is a flat £10 fee.
COMMISSIONS, ORDERS AND STOCK ITEMS:
These conditions govern all contracts of the sale of commissioned items between Pruden & Smith Ltd (hereinafter referred to as ‘the Company’) and any customer (hereinafter referred to as ‘the Customer’). These terms can only be varied with the written consent of the Company.
A confirmed order is made when the Customer has paid the deposit required. An Order Confirmation = Acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. All orders for the supply of goods placed by the Customer with the Company are irrevocable unless otherwise expressly stated in writing. A confirmed order may only be cancelled or varied with the Company’s written consent. Such consent shall not in any way prejudice the Company’s right to recover from the Customer full compensation (including profit) for any loss or expense arising from such cancellation or variation of the original order. The Company is under no obligation to agree to vary an order.
Cancellation must be made in writing. The order is not cancelled until the Company has consented to the cancellation in writing to the Customer. The Company reserves the right to refuse acceptance of goods returned to the Company without permission.
The price provided by the Company at the time an order is made is an estimate. The customer accepts that the final balance may vary from their original estimate. Any variation, if it applies, reflects variation in the costs of raw materials and manufacturing processes.
5. Payment and Deposits
The Company requires a 50% deposit before work can commence on an order. The company reserves the right to require a larger deposit. Payment of the balance is due before dispatch or collection by the Customer. The Company reserves the right to refuse to dispatch goods to a customer whose payment is not made. A charge of £20 will be made for each instance of a returned or represented cheque.
6. Completion date
The completion date provided by the Company at the time an order is made is an estimate. The Company will use its best endeavour to deliver the goods on the estimated date for delivery or collection, but does not guarantee to do so. The Company shall, under no circumstances whatsoever, be liable to the Customer for any loss, damage or expenses, whether caused directly or indirectly, by or from any delay in the completion of an order.
Delivery to the Customers own premises or to those of a nominated agent will be charged extra to the Customer. Where delivery is to be made by an independent carrier, delivery to or pickup by the carrier will be deemed delivery to the Customer. Claims for shortages or non-delivery must be supported by the carrier’s consignment or delivery note on which the goods have been signed and checked at the time of delivery. All claims for shortages or non-delivery must be made by telephone within 3 working days and in writing within 5 working days. Any loss or damage to the goods after delivery, whatever the cause, is the sole responsibility of the Customer.
Absolute consistency of sizes, materials, proportions, colours and shades are not guaranteed by the Company and are given as guidance only. On those occasions where repeat orders find that there is some variation from the previous order, Pruden & Smith Ltd cannot be held responsible for those changes.
9. Care of Jewellery
All items of jewellery must be cleaned in accordance with instructions given by a member of Pruden & Smith Ltd staff, or the item should be taken to an established jeweller for cleaning. Please refer to Pruden & Smith Ltd cleaning instructions. The Company is not liable for any damage caused due to the Customer not following these recommendations. Jewellery should be treated with reasonable care. Jewellery should not be worn in bed or in the shower or bath. Jewellery and rings should be removed before playing sports, swimming, clapping or washing up. The Company is not liable for any damage caused due to the Customer not following these recommendations. The Company is not liable for any costs associated with normal wear and tear during the lifespan of the commissioned jewellery.
10. Alterations and Repairs of purchased items
We recommend that items made by the Company should be returned to the Company for repair and/or alteration. Any damage or costs caused by repairs or alterations made by a third party are the sole responsibility of the Customer. The Company will only carry out free-of-charge repairs on a commissioned piece of jewellery if it is faulty and returned to the Company within three months of the delivery date. Alterations, e.g. resizing of rings, are always chargeable.
11. Gold Plate
We use soft and hard 18 carat colour gold plate. Generally a layer two microns thick is used except for items which are likely to receive more wear – these are given three or more microns coverage. Gold plate has a limited life-span. We can only guarantee the life of gold plate up to three months from the date of purchase. After this period has expired the Customer is responsible for the cost of re-plating the item.
12. Claims against the Company
All claims in respect of goods alleged to be defective must be made in writing within 14 days from the date of delivery.
13. Set-off and Lien
No payments may be withheld nor may any counterclaims by the Customer be set-off against any payment due under this or any other contract. The Company shall have a general and particular lien on all money and property, which the Customer owns or is entitled to posses, which is in the possession of the Company or its agents, which it may sell as the Customers agent to reduce the Customers debt to the Company.
14. Force Majeure
The Company shall not be under any liability of any kind for non-performance in whole or in part of its obligations under the contract due to causes beyond the reasonable control of the Company or of the Companies suppliers or due to labour disputes.
15. Ownership of Goods
Property of any goods supplied to the Customer will not pass to the Customer until the Customer pays for the goods in full. Further, title to such goods shall not pass until payment to the Company of all amounts owing to it by the Customer on any account whatsoever. The Company has the right to recover from the Customer the cost of installation, removal, return transport and diminution in value of any such goods not paid for in full. If prior to making payment to the Company, the Customer contracts to sell the goods to a third party in substantially the same form in which they were delivered to the Customer, then the title to such goods and payment liability shall pass from the Company to such third party upon full payment to the Company.
16. Intellectual Property Rights
All industrial or intellectual material or property rights associated with the design or manufacturing processes of commissioned jewellery are the property of the Company and remain so after ownership of the commissioned jewellery passes to the Customer. The Company reserves the right to reproduce the designs and use images of designs.The Customer agrees to indemnify the Company from and against all costs, claims, liabilities and damages which we may suffer or incur as a result of you using, reproducing or exploiting any industrial or intellectual material or property rights without the consent of the proprietor.
17. Rectification of these Terms
If any of these terms, or any part of these terms, is unenforceable or void by law, it shall not affect the remainder of such terms or any other such term or otherwise affect the contract and shall be replaced by such valid term as is near as may be in effect to the original term.
18. Email marketing
The Company will automatically add all customers and their details to its mailing list as someone who has expressed an interest in the Company and its products. To unsubscribe from the list, the customer must click the ‘unsubscribe’ link or contact us by email or phone.
The laws of England shall govern all contracts between the Company and the Customers and any disputes arising there from shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the English courts.
REPAIRS AND ALTERATIONS
- Charges apply to all repairs and alterations unless the item is faulty and were purchased at our store. If this is the case please supply a valid receipt and return the item within 28 days of purchase.
- We are only able to give an estimate of repair costs. Please be prepared for a rise in the final cost. We will do our best to keep you informed of any changes.
- Whilst we do our best to complete repairs and alterations within six weeks we do not guarantee to do so. During busy periods please expect to join a waiting list of up to four months. Please be patient with us.
- If an item of jewellery does not bear a British hallmark we cannot be held responsible for the metal behaving unpredictably when heat is applied to it for soldering repairs. Customers agree to repairs and alterations going ahead at their own risk (see notes below)
- We reserve the right to refuse to repair an item if we do not have the expertise or equipment necessary or if the item is too fragile or old for us to repair.
- Threading, re-threading and knotting carried out by Pruden & Smith Ltd or one of its agents is guaranteed for 12 months. After this period any breakage or damage will be considered wear and tear and a charge will apply for repair.
- Whilst the Company makes every endeavour to secure, protect and insure items left by customers, they are left at the customers’ own risk. All insurance claims made by the Company must be accompanied by an up-to-date valuation of the goods left. Opals and emeralds are excluded from this insurance.
- Repairs to jewellery, other than originally made by the Company, or threading & knotting, are not guaranteed, though every care is made to make an effective repair, the original work or design may be fragile or defective.
IMPORTANT NOTE ON REPAIRS:
When you leave your precious jewellery with us here at Pruden and Smith you can be assured of the utmost care, attention & respect to the item at all times. Goods are only handled by fully qualified personnel and may be transported off-site for work to be carried out by insured personnel.
The jewellery repairs are undertaken by craftsman with many years’ experience in their field but it is HIGHLY IMPORTANT that you as a customer are aware no repair is fully without risk.
Precious stones are particularly vulnerable in the case of some repairs, especially re-setting, re-clawing or re-tipping and in the cases of some softer stones even cleaning can damage them.
Whilst we work on everyone’s jewellery with the care as if it was our own, we would ask you to understand, appreciate and ultimately accept that YOUR stone could be damaged during a repair process with the worst-case scenario being a total loss stone breakage. In the event of such, we cannot be held liable for the replacement of such. This is something to consider greatly should the stones be of huge sentimental value.
Aside from a total loss, stones can become chipped or grazed in a repair process. In this case, we would always endeavour to re-polish the stone (in most cases at our expense) but it must be fully understood that, due to circumstance beyond our control during the re-cutting or polishing process, the stone could end up being smaller than as it was supplied. It is not possible to fill or add to a gemstone so any damage must be removed.
Please remember that guidelines like this are not exclusive to jewellery repairs! – any service that offers work to be done on customers’ property will have a disclaimer so the customer assumes risk to their goods.
If you require a little more certainty regarding the risks to left items please inform a member of staff. They will be able to arrange for the repairer to fully examine the piece prior to starting it and inform you the likelihood of the above risks applying to you. Please note this may delay the process by up to 2 weeks.
COLLECTION OF ITEMS
When an Item is ready for collection, the company will contact the customer. Customers must ensure that they provide us with the correct full and current contact details, including name, postal address, email address and telephone number. Any money due must be paid in the following 30 days.
ABANDONED OR UNCLAIMED ITEMS
Items that are not claimed within one (1) year following the required notification (two letters by post, one recorded) will be processed in accordance with applicable law. For more information on the disposition of abandoned or unclaimed Items see The Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977.
SCRAP METAL SERVICE
Pruden and Smith (hereinafter referred to as ‘the Company’) and any customer (hereinafter referred to as ‘the Customer’) shall complete a signed ‘Take-in receipt’ and then the Company may test and value the items (hereinafter referred to as ‘Precious Metal Products’) and make an offer to purchase the Precious Metal Products from the Customer based on:
(a) the results of the tests
(b) the Spot Rate at the time that the Precious Metal Products are tested by us
The Precious Metal Products will be tested during the following two weeks of completing the Take-in receipt using a range of non-destructive and destructive tests. Consequently, Precious Metal Products may become tarnished or may be filed during testing. Such testing will be restricted to the smallest area of the Precious Metal Products possible and will be conducted on an inconspicuous area of the Precious Metal Products whenever possible. By submitting Precious Metal Products for testing, the Customer shall hold the Company harmless from any claim relating to tarnishing and/or damage associated with a testing procedure.
Any offer made by the Company shall remain open to acceptance by the Customer for 24 hours. If the Customer does not accept the Company’s offer within 24 hours, the Company reserves the right to withdraw the offer and re value the Precious Metal Products to reflect any fluctuations in world precious metal prices.
If the Company does not make an offer to purchase the Precious Metal Products or the Customer does not accept the Company’s offer to purchase, the Company will hold the Precious Metal Products for collection by the Customer. If the customer does not collect within one year, the Company reserves the right to dispose of any uncollected Precious Metal Products as they see fit.
Where the Customer has accepted the Company’s offer to purchase the Precious Metal Products, the Company will make payment in accordance with the valuation determined by the Company by either:
(a) INTERNET BANKING – where details have been provided, the money will usually be in the Customer’s account within 24 hours from the time when the payment is processed by the Company; or
(b) CHAPS/TELEGRAPHIC TRANSFERS for transactions in excess of £10,000. This service is charged at £25 per transaction to cover our bank charges when using this method of payment, the fee being deducted from the valuation figure; or
(c) CHEQUE PAYMENTS will be charged at £6.00 per transaction to offset our bank charges and admin/postal costs when using this method of payment, the fee being deducted from the valuation figure.
(d) CASH PAYMENT – available only for payments up to £200. To be available fort collection by the customer 24 hrs after quote acceptance.
The time periods specified above may vary depending upon the terms, policies and procedures of the Customer’s bank.
Any non-precious items that have been clearly requested for return in the take-in receipt will be held by the Company for a maximum of one year for collection by the customer, after which the Company may dispose of them. (see details below)
If the Customer does not receive payment by the Company within 14 days from the date that the Customer accepts the Company’s offer to purchase the Precious Metal Products, the Customer must notify the Company who will, if necessary, arrange for alternative payment. Failure to contact the Company within that period, or to cash any cheque received from the Company within 6 months from receipt, forfeits whatever rights the Customer may have to payment.
Without prejudice to any other right or remedy, the Company reserves the right to set off any amount owing at any time from the Customer to the Company against any amount payable by the Company to the Customer under this agreement.
The Customer agrees that, in the event of obvious error resulting in an overpayment, the Customer will repay the sum equivalent to the overpayment to the Company within 48hrs of receiving communication from the Company requesting repayment.
The Precious Metal Products shall remain at the risk of the Customer until payment is complete.
Ownership of the Precious Metal Products shall pass to the Company on the date that the Customer accepts the Company’s offer to purchase the Precious Metal Products.
- Precious Metal Plated and Non-Precious Metal Items
- The Company do not purchase Precious Metal Plated and non- Precious Metal items.
- Gemstones in the Consignment
- The Company does not buy gemstones. Any gemstones within Precious Metal Products received by the Company will only be returned to the Customer on request and recorded in the Take-in receipt. A charge will be levied for this.
- Other Items
- Where the Precious Metal Products contain or are attached to non-precious metal materials, the Company will detach or separate the non-precious metal materials for collection or disposal.
- Where the Customer wishes to retain the non-precious metal materials, it shall notify The Company in writing when the Company receives the Precious Metal Products.
- Where the Company receives notification from a Customer it shall return the non-precious metal materials to the Customer.
- Where the Company returns the non-precious metal materials to the Customer, the Customer accepts that damage to the non-precious metal materials may result from the detachment/separation process and the Customer will hold The Company entirely blameless for such damage. The Company may charge the Customer for postage and packing of the returned non-precious metal materials (at a maximum charge of £10).
- The Customer shall pay any fee charged by The Company under within 14 days from the date of the invoice or the date of the email sent by The Company to the Customer notifying the Customer that such charges are due and payable. Where the Customer does not make payment within such time period, The Company shall be under no obligation to return the non-precious metal materials and may dispose of them as it sees fit.
LOYALTY CARD SCHEME TERMS AND CONDITIONS
RECEIVING LOYALTY STAMPS
You will receive one stamp for each whole £50 you spend on full price stock items of jewellery or silverware under £750 each from our gallery or website. Any items requiring alteration or ordering do not qualify. You will also receive a stamp when you introduce a friend who is not already on our database. In addition, if you’re friend purchases an item as a result of your recommendation, you will receive an additional stamp. Services and commissioned items are not eligible for loyalty stamps. Loyalty card stamps are recorded electronically on your account, your card may be stamped for your reference only – prior to claiming credit, confirmation is required on our system. Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer.
LOYALTY STAMP BALANCE
If your Loyalty Card is lost or stolen, you can obtain another paper copy from our gallery.
REDEEMING LOYALTY CREDIT
Your £100 credit must be redeemed in one transaction and no change will be given. The card must be presented at the time of placing your order. There is no cash alternative. Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer. The loyalty card cannot be filled up and the credit redeemed in the same transaction. No points are issued for the spending of the loyalty card credit.
DURATION AND TERMINATION
The Loyalty Card Scheme will continue indefinitely, however we reserve the right to terminate the scheme at any time. Un-redeemed Loyalty Stamps will not be redeemable following termination of the scheme.
Gift vouchers and gift cards cannot be exchanged for cash. Change may be given in the form of a gift voucher or gift card but if under £10, this will sometimes be given in cash. Gift vouchers or gift cards which are defaced, altered or cancelled will not be accepted.
Pruden & Smith reserves the right to change the range of gift vouchers and giftcards they offer at any time, without prior notification. Pruden & Smith takes no responsibility for any changes to the terms and conditions relating to each individual gift voucher or gift card.
Users should refer to the gift voucher or card for any retailer specific terms and conditions and expiry dates.
Risk and title will pass to the customer upon delivery. Pruden & Smith can take no liability for any lost, stolen or damaged gift voucher or gift card once responsibility of ownership has passed to the customer at time of delivery.
Cleared payment is required prior to the despatch of orders. Payment is taken automatically at the time of purchase. Your credit/debit card statement will read “Pruden & Smith”. We reserve the right to decline any order without providing explanation.
All orders received before 3pm are dispatched same working day, with all orders after 3pm (or placed on weekends or on Bank Holidays) being dispatched next working day.
We will notify you by email to confirm receipt of your order. At this point the contract for our sale and your purchase of the goods shall be made on the terms set out herein and the contract shall be formed at the place from which our acceptance email is sent to you. You may print this page from the website to be kept for your own records.
Prices shall be as set out on the website and within the acknowledgement issued by Pruden & Smith which are exclusive of any value added, purchase or other taxes. Prices do not include postage costs and you must choose one of the delivery options when you order. Such taxes and costs shall be payable in addition to the price when the price is due. All payments must be made in British Pounds Sterling (GBP)
These conditions of supply of goods or services govern all orders to and contracts with Pruden & Smith and override any other terms or conditions stipulated, incorporated or referred to by the person, firm or company that has requested Gift Cards.
The funds on a gift card or gift voucher are not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. In the unlikely event of the issuer of a gift card or gift voucher becoming insolvent some funds on a gift card or gift voucher may not be available to spend.
CHANGES TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
We reserve the right to modify these Terms and conditions at any time at our discretion (acting reasonably).
7-9 The Avenue
East Sussex BN21 3YA